Re: [G2R] Re: gtk+ 2.0.4 release?

Christian,

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 17:10, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> Actually I don't see why we any module that already has had a stable
> release (be it libxml, gtk+, audiofile,esd or something else) should
> need to follow some freeze guidelines.

	The reason is fairly simple; and it is this - there are typically lots
of bugs in any given piece of software; some are critical bugs ( perhaps
crashers ), others are not.

	Every bug fix, introduces potential de-stabilization, thus we want to
only fix a certain class of (bad) bug, and exclude all other more minor
fixes - in a controlled way.

	This is why we need to have an ultra stable, deep frozen branch, to
which only fixes for blocker bugs are committed - to avoid any last
minute fix of a minor, or trivial bug - from screwing the whole process.

	Furthermore, the scrutiny and delay, hopefully causes people to think
more carefully, read their patches and put more eyes over the code
before even blocker bug fixes are committed.

> The whole point of
> the freeze guidelines/process IMHO is to get out a stable version of
> each library in the GNOME development plattform.

	There is no 'stability' point, there is merely a continuous flow of
fixes for bugs of varying priority.

	Regards,

		Michael.