Re: Providing Proxy support for Gdict. Need inputs.

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 02:52, Narayana Pattipati wrote:
> > Probably pretty unlikely for most proxies these days, but you could
> > perhaps tunnel through using the CONNECT command on an HTTP proxy.
>
>   I am using tunnel mechanism only to connect to dict.org:2628. But I
>   am getting HTTP/1.0 500 Server Error in response. Error 5XX means
>   server failed to fulfill an apparently valid request. So I feel
>   dict.org at port 2628 does not support any http requests.

Right, which is why you use the CONNECT tunnelling through an HTTP
proxy.  It just opens a plain connection to the other side, and you can
do the standard dict protocol that way.

But the point is probably moot, because almost no proxies actually allow
tunnelling unless it is to port 443 (for secure HTTP) anymore, as it's a
great way to perform remote attacks and pass around spam.

>   Gnet has some socket/socks support but comment at
> http://www.gnetlibrary.org/
>   suggest that SOCKS implementation is experimental. May be we can get
> full
>   support by 2.2. And I don't think it is very good idea to use some
> third party
>   library(even if it is free). I am not familiar with proxy stuff. So I
> can not
>   write some socks support on my own.

I'd tend to agree, it's a very puntable feature, IMO.

Joe