Re: Latest SPEC files for GNOME2

Gregory Leblanc wrote:

Cool!  Have you looked at the latest spec files/packages on
ftp.gnome.org?  In particular, things like gtk+, pango, ORBit2, and so
on have been split into more packages, and removed the 2 from the file
names.  Everyone except for me hates the renaming, but at least look at
the library splits.

Hey Greg,

Yes, i'm quite familiar with naming conventions like that. And most people and packagers will argue that it is a lot better way to package libraries. (Forinstance, take a look at mandrake, it does the same thing to some extend). Also long discussions about packaging with dobey (from ximian) have shown me what the 'better way of packaging should be' and 'how much redhat packages suck' ;-)

However with the package naming i tried to stick with the redhat package names and format (these are redhat packages right?) Since 7.2 already has some gnome2 (alpha) libs on it, and since Redhat 8 (and current rawhide, gnomehide) already use this naming format to, it would seem futile to break with redhat's way of doing things and trying to improve there platform ;-)

I would say that for debian and mandrake packaging, the split between -libs, -doc, -demos, ... etc with new naming conventions will be the way to go, but for a redhat platform, don't try to force it. When in rome, act like the romans right?

This way, if we stay diligent, people will be able to run either the redhat provided gnome, gnomehide, ximian gnome or plain gnome, and upgrade between packages from any of those sources. (If only ximian and redhat would stop their Epoch battles! but thats a different rant altogether)

Specialy this clean upgrade path seems important to me. We don't want people stuck without year old gnome releases, when so many exiting things are happening on a weekely basis. Also we want them to test, test and test!

My gut feeling tells me to keep acting like a roman..

   -- Chris