Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 19:09, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> If people want to discuss using viewports _instead_ of desktops to
> implement our "workspaces," that's a very good conversation to
> have. There are some pros and cons on each side.
>
> Some issues:
>
>  - viewports are different from what KDE does, so sort of confuse the
>    overall desktop architecture situation and make interoperability
>    harder.

Well, lots of things are different between KDE and GNOME, but I don't
think this one really matters. People probably don't use different
pagers than the one they're used to (either KDE's CDE like one, or the
deskguide we have). As opposed to having a common cut and paste, I don't
think this is an overly important issue (but I could be way out).

>  - some people find it annoying if they have little bits of
>    windows leaking onto adjacent spaces (e.g. you can't push a window
>    offscreen to get rid of it).

Is that not what minimise/shade is for?

>  - it's totally infeasible to move gnome 2 to viewports at this point.

Fair enough.

> Nonetheless, I think switching to viewports _instead_ is a possibly
> convincing argument. What I find really unconvincing is having both.

I don't think I've ever used both past a few days playing with E's amiga
wannabe desktop dragging to revel the underlying desktop trick. I
generally use one or the other, depending on what the window manager
supports.

iain
--
"Things like Destiny's Child are just repressed sexuality. It happens
with boys and men too. I feel embarrassed for them when I listen to