Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 02:28:26PM +0200, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> mån 2002-04-29 klockan 13.41 skrev Dick Porter:
> > hackers are in general the type of people that like to fiddle with things.
>
> Most hackers (like normal people) would probably better like a solution
> where you don't have to fiddle to get your work done.

You're confusing "like to fiddle" with "have to fiddle".

Obviously, "have to fiddle" to get stuff done is bad.  I'm saying satisfying
the urge "like to fiddle" is good.

> What is happening is that options that most people doesn't know about or
> care about is being moved entirely into GConf and not visualized in the
> UI. The hackers will know they can find these extra options in GConf (by
> for example using gconf-editor) and can thus tweak there desktop as they
> like.

The fact that this thread keeps cropping up seems to disprove the "don't
care about" part :)

Being able to set things in gconf-editor is good, though Havoc's UI essay
is arguing for the total removal of that sort of option (I think, that's
how I read it anyway.)

- Dick