Re: Help accessibility [Was: New look of the yelp TOC for review]

Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Bill Haneman">
>
> > The short answer is that we need some way to provide the level of themeing
> > provided by GTK+.  Ideally we'd want to track that theme (and that will be
> > a requirement in future I believe), but before we do that we need the
> > mechanism in place for applying such stylesheets.
>
> Okay, so you want to theme the help pages similarly to the chosen GTK+
> theme, or...? That sounds like crack to me [1], if we already have an a11y
> happy XSLT and CSS stylesheet.

Accessibility guidelines (read, legal stuff) requires that the user
not have to apply accessibility styles in several places; the user
who needs accessible styles should be able to do it
with one stop:

(from http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/guide/1194.21.htm#(g) ,
guidelines to the US 508 standards:)

> (g) Applications shall not override user selected contrast and color selections and other individual display attributes.
>
> How does this requirement improve accessibility for people with disabilities?
> Often, persons with disabilities can increase their efficiency with a system by selecting colors, contrast, keyboard repeat rate, and keyboard
> sensitivity settings provided by an operating system. When an application disables these system-wide settings, accessibility is reduced. This
> provision is aimed at allowing users to select personalized settings which cannot be disabled by software programs.
>
> Does this provision mean that programs may not use any custom settings?
> This provision allows programs to have unlimited options for customizing the display of the programs' content. However, there must be a
> section in the software that tells the program not to use its own setting, but to use whatever settings are already in place before the program
> starts. A simple menu selection, for example under a view, or options menu, might be a checkbox that lets the user check "use system display
> setting."

-Bill