Re: Resume Later

Aha! Yes, this is a "temporary" limitation, which I had honestly forgotten about.

A while back, we added some protections to avoid a duplicity bug [1] around not validating the backup passphrase mid-chain. (For example, you could start a backup with passphrase "a" but resume the backup with "b" and you'd end up with a backup chain that has two separate passphrases for different chunks of it.)

But our workaround was a big hammer - we just delete the cache before starting or resuming a full backup. Which means you can't resume a full backup. At the time, I was interested in fixing it fast and cared more about being correct than performant.

I expected upstream duplicity would address the issue. But that hasn't happened yet, and it dropped off my radar. Which is unfortunate, because full backups are exactly when you want to be able to resume.

We should either (A) change the button text on full backups to not imply it can be resumed or (B) work around duplicity in a better way (?) or (C) hurry up with supporting borg as a backend.

So the behavior you are seeing is "expected" I guess. But thank you for reminding me about this problem.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/918489