querying over network (from SoC 2006)

Hey folks,
	Better late than never :-D. Alexis' work on network beagle (GSoC ... ahem,
2006) is now available in beagle svn. The code is largely untested; it
probably worked during last summer, it probably even works now but so much
has changed in between that its hard to say everything works without enough
testing. So instead of the trunk, it is available in the
beagle-cutting-edge-branch (r3797). To make life easier, just
"svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/beagle/tags/BEAGLE_OVER_NETWORK/";

Once/if it gets enough testing, it can be merged to the trunk. I remember
quite a few emails in the list asking how to query beagle over the network;
some of you might still be interested I hope :)

Usage: The interface is kind of rudimentary right now. Only the files backend
sends results over network. Querying over network is only possible using the
CLI beagle-query. beagled runs in port 4000. No GUI support for remote
querying or specifying remote nodes. All of these are simpler changes. If
people show interest, they will be duly added. (Alexis, I believe, also had
GUI code in his project. I am not a GUI person so I left that part of the
code out. Feel free to tinker with the GUI support. Alexis' tarball is linked
somewhere in the web).

1) Start beagled with "--networked" on machine-A
2) On machine-B, use "beagle-config networking AddNeighborhoodBeagleNode
hostname:portnumber" to add the machine-A (use portnumber = 4000)
3) On machine-B, run "beagle-query --local no --remote yes <search_terms>" to
search remote beagle.
4) Cross your fingers and hope the roof does not crash.

You can test on the same machine too ... use 127.0.0.1 as the hostname. I
suggest running beagled with "--fg --debug" to catch some verbose debug
messages.

Any bugs, please reply here or send me an email (replying to the list will
help others with similar issue).

Ahh... one last thing. The cutting-edge-branch has code from 0.2.16, so some
of the recent improvements in 0.2.16.* and 0.2.17 is not available there. In
case you wondered.

Alexis, thanks!