Re: reason why beagle doesnt index

Hi Kevin,

afaik the file had also "äöü" in it?! ah ok i just read that it was "not exactly correct".

i didn't try to set mono_external_encoding as i was just to tired yesterday. if it works with mono_... is it, in your opinion, still a bug? or just a matter of information the user?

at the moment my pc at home is not powered up, so i can't testt. i'll let you know when i'm at home.

bye
Andreas

Kevin Kubasik wrote:

Ok... hmmm

kjk38 kjk38-laptop:~$ beagle-extract-content ./aäoöuü.txt
?Filename: file:///home/kjk38/aäoöuü.txt
Debug: Loaded 47 filters from /usr/lib/beagle/Filters/Filters.dll
Filter: Beagle.Filters.FilterText
MimeType: text/plain

Content:
 auo

(no hot content)

was my result, not exactly correct, but not the issue your having. I
think you may have a Mono bug though at first glance. Did you try
setting MONO_EXTERNAL_ENCODINGS? If your not sure of what to do, this
might work, but if you know your encoding, thats better
export MONO_EXTERNAL_ENCODINGS=$LANG

Let me know, and I'm on the IRC btw if you wanna find me there (kkubasik
at irc.gnome.org, and I'm usually in #dashboard)

Cheers,
Kevin Kubasik
240-838-6616
http://kubasik.net/blog

Andreas Heinz wrote:
Hi Kevin,

nothing easier than that ;)
It's a mp3 file, but since it's not the problem of being an audio file
but a problem how it is named, i just created a text file with some
german umlaut creating the same error message. right now i'm not sure
how my system encodes file names, but i think it was something like
isoXXXX.
i have attached the text file. filename is aäoöuü.txt ;)

bye
Andreas

PS: at the moment i havent filed a bug report. i'll do this tomorrow.

Kevin Kubasik wrote:
1) Could you please file this in the gnome bugzilla so we don't lose it?

2) Is there any chance you could attach the file so one (or all of us)
could test it? If its personal, could you maybe e-mail it to me at
kevin kubasik net? If its uber-personal (trying out my German ;) ) could
you perhaps create another file which replicates this error?

Cheers,
Kevin Kubasik
240-838-6616
http://kubasik.net/blog

Andreas Heinz wrote:
hi there again,

i just tested with beagle-extract-content what beagle gets from a
file which is not in my index.

[Invalid UTF-8]
Cannot determine the text encoding for argument 1 ("file with some
german umluats, didn't look nice;)").
Please add the correct encoding to MONO_EXTERNAL_ENCODINGS and try
again.

first, shouldn't the user be informed about this?
second, should the wrong encoding of a file (from the view of beagle)
name lead to not indexing the file at all? for me this doesnt make
that much sense, but maybe i'm overseeing some important stuff :)

hope this is the reason why the files didn't get indexed.

thanks again for an answer
Andreas