Re: Beagle on FC3

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 16:41 +0100, Bart Vanbrabant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I finally got beagle (0.0.5) working on FC3 without breaking hal by
> using dbus 0.23. I installed mono from the dag.wieers.be This is version
> 1.0.5 but there are quite some problems.

There are now packages from the mono guys which may work better.

1.0.5: http://www.go-mono.com/archive/1.0.5/fedora-3-i386/
1.1.3: http://www.go-mono.com/archive/1.1.3/fedora-3-i386/

For some reason they're not on the web page yet...

> Beagle starts fine but after a while it starts using all my memory and
> making the whole computer unuseable. I start beagle with beagled --fg
> --debug. When a crawling thread starts, after about 5 to 15 files the
> memory usage goes from 20% to 100% and my pc starts swaping. This
> happens in about 5 seconds. When I kill beagle the memory usage goes
> to 20%, this means that beagle uses about 400mb ram in less then 5
> seconds time. Is there a way to find out what the problem is?

Does the daemon seem to hang at a certain point?  It sounds like maybe a
filter is running away with things.  Yeah, beagle is a bit of a mem hog,
but it's not *that* bad.  The last few lines of the log may be helpful.

> There are some other problems. I compiled a custom 2.6.10 with inotify.
> Everytime I reboot I have to chmod 644 /dev/inotify. I already added the
> inotify:root:root:0666 to /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions
> like the ubuntu wiki says but this doesn't work.

Dunno what to tell you about that one.  It looks like it should work.

> And the last problem is that mono crashes sometimes with this error
> (before it starts eating my memory) with an error like this
> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x09239800 ***
> I also get this error when I open a note in tomboy or want to create a
> new note. This is probably mono related, how can I solve this?

This error is pretty common on 1.0.x at the end of a program, but I'm
not aware of it crashing a program mid-run.  Try the mono packages
linked above (particularly 1.1.x) to see if it's more stable.