Re: Beagle on FC3

Joe Shaw wrote:

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 16:41 +0100, Bart Vanbrabant wrote:

Hello,

I finally got beagle (0.0.5) working on FC3 without breaking hal by
using dbus 0.23. I installed mono from the dag.wieers.be This is version
1.0.5 but there are quite some problems.

There are now packages from the mono guys which may work better.

1.0.5: http://www.go-mono.com/archive/1.0.5/fedora-3-i386/
1.1.3: http://www.go-mono.com/archive/1.1.3/fedora-3-i386/

For some reason they're not on the web page yet...

I'm using these  1.1.3 packages now.

Beagle starts fine but after a while it starts using all my memory and
making the whole computer unuseable. I start beagle with beagled --fg
--debug. When a crawling thread starts, after about 5 to 15 files the
memory usage goes from 20% to 100% and my pc starts swaping. This
happens in about 5 seconds. When I kill beagle the memory usage goes
to 20%, this means that beagle uses about 400mb ram in less then 5
seconds time. Is there a way to find out what the problem is?

Does the daemon seem to hang at a certain point?  It sounds like maybe a
filter is running away with things.  Yeah, beagle is a bit of a mem hog,
but it's not *that* bad.  The last few lines of the log may be helpful.

I've updated to cvs today and it works now but there are some other
issues. I'm using the latest inotify patch but inotify doesn't seem to
work, so I started looking into the source tree. I found the
inotify-test example. When I place a watch on my home dir:
$ ./inotify-test /home/bart
I get the following error:
Watching /home/bart

Unhandled Exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory

and the program crashes but when I place a watch on a file:
$ ./inotify-test /home/bart/file.txt
I get : Watching /home/bart/file.txt
but my memory goes to max in one second.

So my problem is probably solved because inotify doesn't work anymore in
cvs on my system and that way the bug is gone. When I use a inotify test
program written in C and I place watch on the same file everything works
fine. I get a lot of events when I access that file ...

Should I file some sort of bug report in bugzilla or give some more
information. Just let me know.

Bart

--
Bart Vanbrabant <bart vanbrabant zoeloelip be>
PGP fingerprint: 093C BB84 17F6 3AA6 6D5E  FC4F 84E1 FED1 E426 64D1