Fwd: PPA Assistance and Bug/Patch Triage

Oops forward to list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Stowers <john stowers gmail com>
Date: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: PPA Assistance and Bug/Patch Triage
To: Julien Lavergne <julien lavergne gmail com>

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Julien Lavergne <julien lavergne gmail com> wrote:
Thanks. This is what I have in mind :

Hi Julien

Thanks for your enthusiastic reaction. Comments follow

- We can use one repository for stable release and svn snapshots, using
2 different names for the packages (conduit for stable, and
conduit-trunk for snapshots). Users will have only one line to add in
their sources.list and can switch when they want from the stable to the
unstable packages. Of course, installing the unstable will remove the
stable package.

Sounds good.

- I'll publish a bzr branch which is a branch of the bzr mirror of GNOME
SVN. It'll contain the debian/ directory needed to build the package. I
think it easier to work on a separate branch for not introducing
"distribution-specific" stuff in an upstream development tree (also,
Debian and Ubuntu guys should not be happy to find a debian directory in
the release tarball :)) I also need this bzr branch for my script.

Sounds good.

- Since Conduit depends on GIO and Webkit python bindings, it could be
difficult to safely and quickly made packages for version under Intrepid
(8.10). If more support is really needed, it can be planned later.

As you might know, Conduit supports both webkit/gtkmozembed for the web browser, and gio/gnomevfs for the file implementation. The latest stable 0.3.15 release defaults to gtkmozembed and gnomevfs, however I recommend webkit and gio. To change the conduit defaults for these features, you change the appropriate constants in conduit/__init__.py. You will see this is what the patch in the debian/ubuntu package does (I hope). If depending on webkit, then you can also install conduit.real to /usr/bin/conduit (the old wrapper script was necessary for firefox to not crash)

So, I am happy to just support intrepid by updating the 0.3.14 package to work against the 0.3.15 release.

Releases from trunk, i.e. conduit-svn snapshots need no such patching, as the default file and browser implementation has been changed to GIO and webkit.

With this in mind, I agree that supporting >= intrepid is the correct decision.

Thanks for your work,

Regards

John

Regards,