Re: Hello all

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 14:20 +0100, John Carr wrote:
> Hi Karl
>
> Very very interesting and exciting!
>
> First off with this, I think when you plug in a device we will simply
> ask the user which datatypes they want to sync. They will be added to
> the relevant part under each authority. This is much nicer than the user
> have to pick where they want to sync I think.
>
> How do you feel about having "sensible defaults". For example, a tab for
> Contacts, Calendar, Todo, Notes, Photos, Music etc. Not sure quite how
> far to go! Or perhaps none and just have an attractive start page. If
> you plug in a device that supports a datatype you don't have a tab for,
> it would be created automatically?
>
> More sensible defaults: Under Contacts, the default authority is
> Evolution. Under Notes, Tomboy. I dare say these defaults will be set
> via something a distro could customise - gconf defaults?

This sounds exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about, because the
idea that the top of the relationship is an authority it makes sense to
assume these authorities, unless the user wants to change that.

> In this UI, I imagine that the list of dataproviders down the side is
> removed? Or do you imagine a context sensitive list? Initially I thought
> no list and a user interacts with the canvas to invoke some kind of
> chooser dialog?
>
> If there is no list of dataproviders down side, do you prefer idea of
> having a list of datatypes downside or tabs of datatypes at top?

Both options sound interesting, the idea was to have a list of relevant
dataproviders down the left and the list of active relationships down
the right. With a switcher of sorts at the top, lets call it tabs for
now although it probably won't be.

> The more I think about this the more I want it to happen! Perhaps I can
> coerce you into some kind of UK hackfest :)

Erm, maybe? We can work some details out, but I have a busy schedule for
the next few weeks.

K,