Re: Hello all

Hi Karl

Very very interesting and exciting!

First off with this, I think when you plug in a device we will simply
ask the user which datatypes they want to sync. They will be added to
the relevant part under each authority. This is much nicer than the user
have to pick where they want to sync I think.

How do you feel about having "sensible defaults". For example, a tab for
Contacts, Calendar, Todo, Notes, Photos, Music etc. Not sure quite how
far to go! Or perhaps none and just have an attractive start page. If
you plug in a device that supports a datatype you don't have a tab for,
it would be created automatically?

More sensible defaults: Under Contacts, the default authority is
Evolution. Under Notes, Tomboy. I dare say these defaults will be set
via something a distro could customise - gconf defaults?

In this UI, I imagine that the list of dataproviders down the side is
removed? Or do you imagine a context sensitive list? Initially I thought
no list and a user interacts with the canvas to invoke some kind of
chooser dialog?

If there is no list of dataproviders down side, do you prefer idea of
having a list of datatypes downside or tabs of datatypes at top?

We are thinking about building this UI atop our Dbus layer, as part of
the "Conduit as a platform" theme. I imagine at most a very teeny amount
of wrapping to make the grouping happen, but otherwise I think the dbus
layer is pretty capable as is.

The more I think about this the more I want it to happen! Perhaps I can
coerce you into some kind of UK hackfest :)

John/Jc2k