Re: Camera settings dialog

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:52 AM, John Selbie <jselbie hotmail com> wrote:
> Not finding anyone else already doing this, I went on and built my own GTK app that dynamically builds and shows a dialog box of sliders, checkbuttons, and menus to correspond to the camera controls exposed by the v4l2 driver.

Hey, nice job!
Have you seen gtk-v4l? https://fedorahosted.org/gtk-v4l/
It's a young but promising project that aims to provide a standalone
application to control all the camera settings in a single place
(somewhat a gtk version of v4lucp). Maybe you want to coordinate your
efforts with them! It's even sponsored/mentored by Hans de Goede
(gspca and libv4l maintainer).

> Would the Cheese team like me to integrate my camera settings dialog directly into the app itself?  I was thinking it could be launched from an entry point under the Edit menu or from the Preferences dialog without too much cluttering of the UI.

My humble opinion is that all that settings are way too complex and
advanced to live in cheese preference dialog, I'd rather see them in a
standalone capplet (those setting applications you call from gnome
control center) so that all webcam apps could benefit from it.
If something like that would happen I think we could safely drop all
the current settings in the preference dialog, rely on the external
configuration utility and point our users there.

Best regards,
Filippo