Re: suggestion: persuasive webcam installation when the webcam doesn't work at all

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Paulo Silva <nitrofurano gmail com> wrote:
> (Daniel, it's a Gmail issue on lacking sending to the mailing list as
> well, and i'm always forgetting that, maybe because you CCed the
> mailing list and sent the answer for me - Gmail still sucks sometimes
> because of this... - is this mailing list also at google groups?)
>

> Here is a screenshot from my desktop computer, after turning on the
> webcam, connected on the usb - it's a gspca-compatible webcam, and
> worked only on Ubuntu 8.04 (i'm not interested on downgrade..) after
> compiling and installing kernel module (painful issue for me) - i were
> trying it since Ubuntu 4.10, and got it no more working since Ubuntu
> 8.10
>
> http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1551/webcamf.png

GSPCA isn't everything.  The webcam built into my Dell monitor *only*
requires UVC (usb video class) and no other GSPCA drivers.  In your
kernel config this can be toggled on at Device Drivers -> Multimedia
support -> Video Capture Adapters -> V4L USB devices ->
CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS=m

There is a good chance that your camera is supported, but its a matter
of proper configuration.

Mike