suggestion: persuasive webcam installation when the webcam doesn't work at all

hi!
recently i addeed this suggestion for Cheese at
http://live.gnome.org/action/logout/Cheese/Ideas

persuasive webcam installation when the webcam doesn't work at all

Some GNU/Linux distributions comes with Cheese pre-installed, just
like happens from Debian 5.03 - but the fact is most of the existing
webcams doesn't work at all on Linux, or at least, doesn't works out
of box, what can be a problem, specially for newbies. A suggestion
would be if Cheese can be also an useful tool for notificating
developers that our webcam doesn't work, and also helping on an easier
process on automatic installing and recognition of our webcam,
whatever is it supported or not. For example, the only two webcams i
have are completelly useless on Linux, which are gSmart Mini (usb),
and iSight (from Apple Macbook 2.0 laptop, which i have also Ubuntu
9.10 installed as dualboot)

i'm curious to know about your feedback and idea improvements about it
thanks and cheers
Paulo

--
Don't give Microsoft the remote control. Don't use Windows 7.
<http://windows7sins.org>