Re: support MJPEG based webcams

yeah, we are doing such a probing, but we do not insert a decodebin
element. if you want, you can have a look into cheese-webcam.c and see
if you are able to add your device somehow!

Thanks, I did. My distro (ubuntu gutsy) doesn't meet cheese's prerequisites, so I've installed hardy on a VM, but usb is flaky (I can rarely get it to map on the VM). By the way I've met a segfault (why does it start from index 1 when looking for available webcams?). I'll do some tests later.

As far as I understand, 'decodbin' is non-intrusive when the stream is uncompressed. It simply forwards it. It probably is cleaner to simply add a 'decodebin' (and probably an 'ffmpegcolorspace' as well) in the pipe rather than having explicit checks for possible cases, since these are already done by the 'decodbin'. Similarly why I didn't suggest using 'jpegdec'. Mind you, I doubt there is a webcam with some other form of compression. In fact, mine is not even a webcam. It's a regular camera with a webcam mode of operation. However, my rule of thumb is to make as little assumptions as possible.

Anyway, I'll play with it and see how it behaves on different devices.

regards,
Ioannis