Re: support MJPEG based webcams

yeah, we are doing such a probing, but we do not insert a decodebin
element. if you want, you can have a look into cheese-webcam.c and see
if you are able to add your device somehow!

Thanks, I did. My distro (ubuntu gutsy) doesn't meet cheese's prerequisites, so I've installed hardy on a VM, but usb is flaky (I can rarely get it to map on the VM). By the way I've met a segfault (why does it start from index 1 when looking for available webcams?). I'll do some tests later.

As far as I understand, 'decodbin' is non-intrusive when the stream is uncompressed. It simply forwards it. It probably is cleaner to simply add a 'decodebin' (and probably an 'ffmpegcolorspace' as well) in the pipe rather than having explicit checks for possible cases, since these are already done by the 'decodbin'. Similarly why I didn't suggest using 'jpegdec'. Mind you, I doubt there is a webcam with some other form of compression. In fact, mine is not even a webcam. It's a regular camera with a webcam mode of operation. However, my rule of thumb is to make as little assumptions as possible.

Anyway, I'll play with it and see how it behaves on different devices.