Cheese Architecture Redesign

Hello,

Cheese has been evolving quite some recently and I've been looking at the ideas that you would like to see implemented in the upcoming releases in order to make Cheese even better. However, I have indeed looked at the code and I am afraid to say that as with almost any program coded in C, Cheese will exponentially grow in complexity as features are added. I've tried to add some of the features and the code-base is pretty complex to work with in terms of dynamically managing the Gstreamer pipeline, for instance. I would like to propose a new design based on Mono (.NET) that would allow a very simplistic (and even cross-platform) core filled with easy-to-write extensions based on the Mono.Addins framework (look at http://www.mono-project.com/Mono.Addins). Applications like this one exist already and are seeing a growth in usage like Tomboy Notes and Banshee as well as the MonoDevelop IDE. I'd like to point out that the user interface need not change, just the underlying code; although I would like to see some sort of OpenGL-based GUI should the user's system support it in order to bring more "bling" to the program (using things like Clutter as a back-end - http://clutter-project.org/). I've started some work on this myself already and I will continue to work on it. I would like to hear your input on this idea and see what can be done about it.

Thanks,

Hernan.