Re: RFC: Ideas for preferences dialog

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 07:22 +0200, daniel g. siegel wrote:
> i just think about "standardized" entries in gconf. storing the
> resolution doesnt work, as a user could plug in another webcam, set a
> wrong resolution, ...
My current patch in Bugzilla handles these cases--that's why it puts the
resolutions the connected camera supports into a hash table, to make
sure that the setting in GConf can actually be used by the camera. If
not, we just default to the highest available like we are doing now. In
fact I actually tested this behavior before uploading that patch, so
don't worry, I've got it covered...

> and even if you have about 10 resolutions available.. i dont know if you
> want to access all of them?
Maybe one day I might...:-) Who knows? I wrote this patch so that I
could bring Cheese up to par in this area with the Windows software that
came with my camera--which allows me to use any resolution I want. It
really galled me that I couldn't find any Linux app that would let me do
this, and I've always been annoyed by apps that, platform
notwithstanding, wouldn't let me do something I wanted to because it was
trying to be too user-friendly. Not that I mean to discount you point
though; I live with people that probably wouldn't know what to do with a
resolution... :D But then we'd have default settings that would probably
be good enough for them, and they probably wouldn't even bother opening
the prefs dialog.

> we thought that putting around a gslist could be too tricky, so we are
> converting the gslist to a string and passing that around.
Good enough...I'll just assume that client code will always want their
lists as strings.

James