Re: RFC: Ideas for preferences dialog

On Di, 2008-04-01 at 22:02 -0700, James Liggett wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 03:30 +0200, daniel g. siegel wrote:
>
> > this is very complex.. did you plan to add the widgets in the code? i
> > would prefer glade/gtkbuilder for the preference window. the synchronize
> > option is very nice though, to easy update the gconf settings.
> I was afraid you'd say that! :-) The classes aren't widgets themselves;
> they just wrap the widgets. We will get the widgets with builder. To be
> totally clear, I really don't want to go through all the trouble of
> making custom widgets and the glade catalog to go with them. So to
> repeat: the classes are *not* widgets, at the most they just hold a
> pointer to them... ;)

ah thats totally ok! ;)

> > hmm.. i think handling resolutions is just too complex for the average
> > user... what about having 3 entries, like "small", "medium", "large"? we
> > could extend that even to 5 or so
> I personally prefer to see resolutions, as my camera has like eight
> different ones. If that's the case, how do I know exactly what
> constitutes "small," "medium," or "large," or any of the others?

i just think about "standardized" entries in gconf. storing the
resolution doesnt work, as a user could plug in another webcam, set a
wrong resolution, ...

and even if you have about 10 resolutions available.. i dont know if you
want to access all of them?

> > youre awesome ;) need help implementing this?
> Thanks!! :-) I might need some help with moving over the effects key to
> the new implementation of CheeseGConf. I notice that the set/get
> property functions there convert GSList to string and vice-versa. Since
> I'm trying to standardize the way keys get set by type, I'm wondering if
> we should treat all list keys like we treat the effects. What would you
> do here? Convert the effect stuff to work with GSList, or just convert
> all lists to strings when we give them to the client code?

we thought that putting around a gslist could be too tricky, so we are
converting the gslist to a string and passing that around.

--
this mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons
daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gmail com>