Re: RFC: Ideas for preferences dialog

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 03:30 +0200, daniel g. siegel wrote:

> this is very complex.. did you plan to add the widgets in the code? i
> would prefer glade/gtkbuilder for the preference window. the synchronize
> option is very nice though, to easy update the gconf settings.
I was afraid you'd say that! :-) The classes aren't widgets themselves;
they just wrap the widgets. We will get the widgets with builder. To be
totally clear, I really don't want to go through all the trouble of
making custom widgets and the glade catalog to go with them. So to
repeat: the classes are *not* widgets, at the most they just hold a
pointer to them... ;)

> hmm.. i think handling resolutions is just too complex for the average
> user... what about having 3 entries, like "small", "medium", "large"? we
> could extend that even to 5 or so
I personally prefer to see resolutions, as my camera has like eight
different ones. If that's the case, how do I know exactly what
constitutes "small," "medium," or "large," or any of the others?

> youre awesome ;) need help implementing this?
Thanks!! :-) I might need some help with moving over the effects key to
the new implementation of CheeseGConf. I notice that the set/get
property functions there convert GSList to string and vice-versa. Since
I'm trying to standardize the way keys get set by type, I'm wondering if
we should treat all list keys like we treat the effects. What would you
do here? Convert the effect stuff to work with GSList, or just convert
all lists to strings when we give them to the client code?

If I need help with anything else, you'll be the first to know. :)

Thanks again,
James