Re: [BuildStream] cache key changes

On 08/07/2019 12:38, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
Hi Jürg,

On Mon, 2019-07-08 at 12:05 +0200, Jürg Billeter wrote:
On Fri, 2019-07-05 at 15:00 +0100, Darius Makovsky via buildstream-list
[...]
I think that the current name is pretty clear, I think we can infer
that this is "core related" due to the value's placement in the overall
dictionary (as it is not being associated with a specific element or
source plugin), so adding the word "core" here doesn't appear to buy
much value or added clarity (although I don't have a strong opinion as
to whether to have "core" in the name, it's rather unimportant).

Losing the word "artifact" on the other hand seems to reduce clarity
about what this version relates to.

I agree with you about the word 'artifact' but, in my opinion, for the
sake of a few characters in the field I think it's better to be explicit
rather than inferential.

[...]
Including the names is an improvement, I just wanted to also raise
awareness that the names on their own are not really enough to
determine plugin identity.

That's a concern I had but I thought it does slightly increase the value
of the key so it would be worth adding. In a similar way I think it
makes sense to be explicit about the plugin version.

--
Best Regards,
Darius

For Codethink's privacy-policy please see
https://www.codethink.co.uk/privacy.html