Re: [BuildStream] cache key changes

On 05/07/2019 15:31, Jürg Billeter wrote:
[...]
Weak cache key dicts normally only contain the names of the
dependencies, not their (weak) cache keys, otherwise the cache key of
an element would change whenever the source of a dependency changes,
which we want to avoid for non-strict builds.

You're right, 'key' is not the right term here but for homogeneity in
the treatment the term is applicable. I don't have a strong opinion
though. However, the as I understand it, the weak cache keys are always
calculated along with the strong ones. The proposal here is to replace
`dependencies` with two sets, one of strong keys and the other of weak
keys. When strictly building the strong keys will be used and for
non-strict builds the weak keys. I'm not sure there's value in adding a
third set of dependency names since I think to avoid unnecessary
rebuilds the keys would need to be calculated.

[...]
* `environment` is replaced `environment-variables`

The .bst format also uses `environment` for this. I'm not convinced
we're reducing confusion by using different names in .bst and the cache
key dict.

Agreed

[...]

`public-nocache` would be an addition to the .bst format.
[...]

I think it would be best to discuss this separately as it would be a
format enhancement and would not affect the cache key. That discussion
should include a description of possible use case(s) for `public-
nocache`.

Yes, that should be a separate issue

--
Best Regards,
Darius

For Codethink's privacy-policy please see
https://www.codethink.co.uk/privacy.html