Re: [BuildStream] Gitlab Proposal: new label: 'paper-cuts'

Hi again and apologies for my late response here.

On 08/08/18 17:46, Agustín Benito Bethencourt wrote:
The main problem are not the labels that are not being used. The real problem are the ones that only a subset
of people end up using consistently, every time.

The boards are only useful if everybody is strict in the usage of labels. Otherwise additional management
effort is required. We agreed that my proposal was manageable with our available time because we could afford
managing the labels when the engineers don't. With this dynamic, we will not be able to keep the boards
healthy. So the WIP visibility will suffer. The whole idea of using the ticketing system in a more intensive
way falls apart.

So let me be clear about my ground position: I am convinced we have way more than we need, that the current
trend is harmful because we are adding hidden costs, and that ignoring them on behalf of convenience is
nothing but demonstrating we have learnt very little from previous experiences.  I will stop fighting against
this dynamic, so feel free to propose and add all the labels that might be needed.

I have set up corporate tools, like ticketing systems, I have been responsible for them, for their costs, for
migrating them, for their failures, the complains.... I will do my best to keep the boards healthy. When I
cannot, I will say so, I will take a step back and somebody else will have to assume my responsibility. And
no, I am not upset nor frustrated. I am simply making clear that I am erasing the line. Being the Grumpy
Grandpa is not in my nature.

Every measure that, in order to work well, requires a proportional amount of management effort, will fail in
any engineering environments.

OK, I see your reasoning and understand :)

I think instead we can just write 'paper cuts' in the description of the gitlab issues and then use the search feature to find those tickets.

Thanks,
Laurence