Re: Using growisofs without genisoimage?

Josselin Mouette <joss debian org> wrote:

Please use correct quotations!

> What amount of changes would this require in brasero? For example does
> it need libburnia integration in the growisofs plugin itself, or could
> it use the available functions in other plugins?

libburna is not an option as it does nto implement UDF.

> > Well, I don't see that this is a solution, but there is of course mkisofs
> > that perfectly does what people need. Note that for a conforming DVD, UDF is
> > needed and mkisofs supports UDF even with Apple extensions.
>
> Sorry but mkisofs is not an option, since working UTF-8 support is a
> must for us.

Interesting! So let me correct your typos: You did just confirm that
genisoimage is not an option as it does not implement working UTF-8 support.

Mkisofs however implements correctly working UTF-8 support ant it fixed dozens
of bugs that still are present in genisoimage as genisoimage is unmaintains
since years.

> Furthermore, the upstream author turned out to be very uncooperative,
> regularly issuing threats and insults. I don???t want these packages to
> rely on his software in any kind of way - that includes genisoimage,
> which he originally wrote.

Let me correct you again: genisoimage it the creation of a hostile downstream
that is extremely uncooperative and that attacks OSS authors.

The mkisofs athor however is always cooperative and open for collaboration.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg schily isdn cs tu-berlin de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       js cs tu-berlin de                (uni)