Re: Modified .desktop for GNOME 2.8

>From what I understand the whole MIME system is being overhauled for 2.8
to fit in with the new freedesktop.org standard:
http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/shared-mime-info-spec

The changes (I believe all of them) are in recent 2.7 snapshots.  For
now, update-mime-database has to be run manually after installing every
application, but this should be dealt with in 2.8 packages by rpm, apt-
get, emerge, whatever.

--mike