Re: [Banshee-List] UTF-8

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 2:48 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj comcast net> wrote:
I tried using other music players and they all display the filenames
and tracks correctly..... I don't understand
this, because the MP3s display correctly everywhere else.

Probably because Banshee uses taglib-sharp (http://github.com/mono/taglib-sharp) to interpret the ID3 tags in your MP3s.
"other music players" most definitely use other libraries. The ID3 spec has some subtle points, esp. when it comes to non-Latin-1 characters in tags (e.g. LATIN SMALL LETTER R WITH CARON in "Dvořák" is _not_ in Latin-1).
There are already some bugs listed here: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=taglib-sharp
e.g.bug 642993.

In general, Banshee handles Unicode in ID3 tags just fine.
(containing Antonín Dvořák: Symphony No.7 in D minor, op.70) and the "Dvořák" shows fine.
I even imported the MP3s into another instance of Banshee and "Dvořák" shows fine there, too.

Cheers, Roderich