Re: [Banshee-List] UTF-8

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 22:58:48 +0100
Roderich Schupp <roderich schupp gmail com> dijo:

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 2:48 AM, John Jason Jordan
<johnxj comcast net>wrote:

I tried using other music players and they all display the filenames
and tracks correctly..... I don't understand
this, because the MP3s display correctly everywhere else.

Probably because Banshee uses taglib-sharp (
http://github.com/mono/taglib-sharp) to interpret the ID3 tags in your
MP3s.
"other music players" most definitely use other libraries. The ID3
spec has some subtle points, esp. when it comes to non-Latin-1
characters in tags (e.g. LATIN SMALL LETTER R WITH CARON in "Dvořák"
is _not_ in Latin-1). There are already some bugs listed here:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=taglib-sharp
e.g.bug 642993.

In general, Banshee handles Unicode in ID3 tags just fine.
As an example, I just ripped CD #15 of
http://musicbrainz.org/release/13920c65-669e-409e-a51f-07cab72c0613
(containing Antonín Dvořák: Symphony No.7 in D minor, op.70) and the
"Dvořák" shows fine.
I even imported the MP3s into another instance of Banshee and "Dvořák"
shows fine there, too.

I finally got most of the non-US-English characters working, including
Dvořák.

But now there is another problem. I have 13 symphonies by Holmboe where
the filename appears correctly, but the Artist and Album columns show
"Unknown artist" and "Unknown album." Ditto for seven symphonies by
Stanford. I have a total of 408 files and all the rest display the
Artist and Album correctly.

All the tags were added with Easytag on Xubuntu 13.10 and saved
correctly. I also opened all the files in Puddletag and in Picard,
where they appeared correctly, and I resaved from each of those
programs. I loaded the files into Clementine and the Album and Artist
tags appear correctly.