Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee Community Extensions 2.1.4 released!

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:27 PM, gnomeuser gmail com
<gnomeuser gmail com> wrote:
> 2011/9/9 Buyongo Phiri <devicehandler gmail com>:
>> Hi Bertrand,
>>
>> I would like to make a suggestion about future releases; lets have a poll
>> system of some sort for feature requests and a planning and implementation
>> system. The system would work more along the lines of, I request a feature
>> the community rates a feature, the developers assess the feature and time
>> constraints and any other constraints that may be involved. This way random
>> requests for features can be channelled into a proper path. Also other spin
>> off would be a better planning system for features for the project.
>
> Feature requests are requested to be performed via bugzilla.gnome.org.
> That seems to work very well for us thus far so I don't see much point
> in having a brainstorm like system. Occasional debate on the mailing
> list also tends to be profitable for hashing out problems and
> solutions.

We also have a roadmap for mid- and long-term goals:
https://live.gnome.org/Banshee/Roadmap

We also get feedback through blog posts, comments, tweets, dents, etc.
So the process you described is already happening, but in an ad-hoc,
informal manner.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that we're all doing this in our
free time, so a developer will work on something only if he's
motivated to do so. This motivation can come from several sources,
including of course user feedback and requests.

In the end, the limiting factor will almost always be developer time,
so I don't think having a formal polling or rating system for feature
request would be of much help.

If you have specific suggestions on how to improve our current
process, I'd be happy to discuss them.

PS: This should happen in a new thread, as it doesn't have much to do
with the release announcement itself ;)

--
Bertrand Lorentz