Re: [Banshee-List] banshee+monoaddins+opensuse (was: Re: track editor: change file name accordingly when title is changed

2011/10/4 Andres G. Aragoneses <knocte gmail com>:
> Hey Nelson, you mind answering a couple of questions about this:

Hey

> On 10/04/2011 01:22 AM, Nelson Marques wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Banshee 2.2.0 from the Banshee repository is build against the
>> dependencies provided by the base system (in your case openSUSE 11.4),
>> this means it was build against mono framework and mono-addins
>> provided by 11.4. Since 11.4 doesn't provide all the dependencies we
>> add the ones missing, a list can be found here[1].
>>
>> I did some changes[2] with the introduction of banshee 2.2.0, one of
>> them was to remove some packages from the mono framework (ex:
>> mono-core) and mono-addins because if people installed them it would
>> break other applications (F-Spot and GNOME Do are 2 known cases).
>
> Break applications in what way? You have logs or URLs of bugs about this?

Applications stopped working, didn't even launched. This was reported
to me by a user in #opensuse-gnome, and F-Spot was one of the
identified applications that stopped working. A few days later I've
seen complaints ago GNOME Do as well.

Also like two weeks ago, a user on this list also confirmed this
situation. I haven't opened a bug report because with the introduction
of Banshee 2.2.0 SLE and SLE11SP1 would not provide the dependencies
to build banshee 2.2.0 (ex: gstreamer), so I wiped those packages.

If you need any kind of report or deeper look into this, I can
replicate that behavior and get a branch with banshee linking against
a different version of mono-addins and pull the logs from f-spot.

>> I dont mind adding a build target to link against a more updated
>> version of mono if someone has usage for it, but be warned that if
>> people update other apps built against a different version might stop
>> working.
>
> I still don't know why you think you need to pull a newer mono for this
> mono-addins issue. MonoAddins is a package completely independent from Mono
> and you can pull a new version from it without tinkering with the rest of
> mono-related packages.

OBS allows me to create a built target using any number of
repositories I want, since mono-addins is maintained on Mono:Factory,
linking against that repo would use the latest mono framework and
mono-addins.

> Please tell me if I'm assuming something wrongly? Thanks

I don't think you are assuming something wrong.

>> During the introduction of banshee 2.2.0 to openSUSE 12.1, we've
>> updated a lot of packages, so I would consider updating to 12.1 when
>> it's released.
>>
>> I'll drop a post within the next days in Banshee Planet[3] and
>> openSUSE Planet[4] on how to run a custom build of Banshee through
>> OBS, though people should understand the risks that some operations
>> involve :)
>>
>> [1] -
>> https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?arch_i586=1&defaults=0&project=Banshee&repo_openSUSE_11_4=1&succeeded=1
>> [2] -
>> http://www.marques.so/2011/09/banshee-2-2-0-released-and-available-for-opensuse-users/
>> [3] - http.planet.banshee.fm
>> [4] - http://planet.opensuse.org
>>

>> All the best,
>> NM
>>

>> 2011/10/3 Klaus Zeitler<info klauszeitler de>:
>>>
>>> Hello,

>>>    gnomeuser@gmail>
>>>    gnomeuser@gmail>  That is most definitely a bug then. Can you please
>>>    gnomeuser@gmail>  file it (www.banshee.fm/file-bugs) along with a
>>>    gnomeuser@gmail>  Debug log showing the issue
>>>    gnomeuser@gmail>  (http://live.gnome.org/Banshee/CommonQuestions/Logs)
>>>
>>> well now I'm back at the other problem that I reported :-(, i.e.
>>> that "banshee --debug" crashes.
>>> You mentioned in your other response that I should upgrade mono-addins.
>>> According to the YaST Software Manager I have mono-addins 0.5-4.7.1
>>> and framework 0.6.1-2.1 and I can't see anything newer to update to.
>>> Maybe I need to add some development repository. Currently I use:
>>> All_of_Packman.repo
>>> Banshee.repo
>>> Banshee:Unstable.repo
>>> openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0.repo