Re: [Banshee-List] anonymous usage data

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM, David Nielsen <gnomeuser gmail com> wrote:
>>

>> 2010/2/12 Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com>

>>> Great idea, I'm adding it to my personal todo list.
>>
>> I forgot to add, we should probably also collect the browser setting (top
>> vs. left), if we can justify it it might also be nice to know the screen
>> data to that we can get an idea of which sizes we should optimize for. E.g.
>> standard Banshee does extremely poorly on my netbook and the long awaited
>> Cubano frontend hasn't yet arrived. I could also imagine that this could be
>> used to figure out how many tracks we should load additionally to those
>> displayed (my understanding is that we currently do something like displayed
>> +/- 10 tracks).
>> We could perhaps also gather some data on the database itself to see how
>> many revisions it has gone through, I suspect this would reveal any
>> potential problems where we are not migrating correctly from none linear
>> versions upgrades or from things like the daily ppa snapshots. This could be
>> useful for distribution upgrades to ensure that the shipped version is known
>> to upgrade nicely when the distro issues major upgrades.
>> Another nutty idea would be to collect the theme being used so that we might
>> test that Banshee looks as it is expected to as part of the release process.
>> Finally we could collect data on which devices are routinely connected to
>> Banshee, their storage capacity, transfer protocol. This would let us see
>> which devices are most important to hit during release testing and a sudden
>> dip in these metrics would also indicate that something broke. Likewise we
>> should collect some data on the errors we see transferring to such devices.
>
> Great ideas, again.  I've just added support for capturing a whole
> bunch of (whitelisted) config options:
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/banshee/tree/src/Core/Banshee.Services/Banshee.Metrics/Configuration.cs#n64

Ok, I've added some display/screen/monitor metrics.  Any missing?

+                var metrics = BansheeMetrics.Instance;
+                var screen = Gdk.Screen.Default;
+
+                metrics.Add ("Display/NScreens",
Gdk.Display.Default.NScreens);
+                metrics.Add ("Screen/Height",       screen.Height);
+                metrics.Add ("Screen/Width",        screen.Width);
+                metrics.Add ("Screen/IsComposited", screen.IsComposited);
+                metrics.Add ("Screen/NMonitors",    screen.NMonitors);

Gabriel