Re: [Banshee-List] anonymous usage data

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Alexander Kojevnikov
<alexander kojevnikov com> wrote:
> On 12 February 2010 19:11, David Nielsen <gnomeuser gmail com> wrote:
>> If one was to run with --debug-sql could we also report frequent long sql
>> queries perhaps. I've noticed a lot of users complaining about Banshee's
>> performance and while digging through logs I've noticed that it is possible
>> to get queries lasting several seconds. It would be nice to see just how
>> frequent this happens to users.
>
> I was sceptical about the whole idea until I saw this. I could
> definitely make use of this information.

Yeah, it's a good one.  We can do it without requiring --debug, too.

I have a rough first pass at this whole usage data/metrics work in
master now.  You can opt-in to it via Preferences.  It doesn't
actually send the data anywhere yet, but it will collect it.  So far I
have it collecting info on:

* What assemblies are loaded/what versions
* Basic distro/os/.NET version info
* How long/frequently Banshee is run
* What source is active (and when it changes)
* What CultureInfo/locale we're in
* Track counts for libraries, podcasts, radio, etc
* Total play count / skip count
* How many tracks are rated
* Timestamp of when the app starts, exits (and duration)

You can see an example Json dump of the collected data here:
http://banshee-project.org/~gburt/tmp/usage-data.txt

Anybody should feel free to help out adding other interesting metrics!

Gabriel