Re: [Banshee-List] anonymous usage data

2010/2/12 Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com>
On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Alexander Kojevnikov
<alexander kojevnikov com> wrote:
> On 12 February 2010 19:11, David Nielsen <gnomeuser gmail com> wrote:
>> If one was to run with --debug-sql could we also report frequent long sql
>> queries perhaps. I've noticed a lot of users complaining about Banshee's
>> performance and while digging through logs I've noticed that it is possible
>> to get queries lasting several seconds. It would be nice to see just how
>> frequent this happens to users.
>
> I was sceptical about the whole idea until I saw this. I could
> definitely make use of this information.

Yeah, it's a good one.  We can do it without requiring --debug, too.

I have a rough first pass at this whole usage data/metrics work in
master now.  You can opt-in to it via Preferences.  It doesn't
actually send the data anywhere yet, but it will collect it.  So far I
have it collecting info on:

* What assemblies are loaded/what versions
* Basic distro/os/.NET version info
* How long/frequently Banshee is run
* What source is active (and when it changes)
* What CultureInfo/locale we're in
* Track counts for libraries, podcasts, radio, etc
* Total play count / skip count
* How many tracks are rated
* Timestamp of when the app starts, exits (and duration)

You can see an example Json dump of the collected data here:
http://banshee-project.org/~gburt/tmp/usage-data.txt

Anybody should feel free to help out adding other interesting metrics!

How about collecting data on which columns are enabled in which views and the order in which they are placed. To help us spot where the users frequently alter the Banshee defaults and thus indicating that we are doing it wrong(tm).

- David