Re: [Banshee-List] anonymous usage data

2010/2/12 Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com>
Hey all,

I've long wanted to instrument Banshee so we could get feedback on how
users use the app.  Assuming that it is opt-in and anonymous, what do
people think?

Here are some things that would be useful to capture:
* Which extensions are enabled
* How long/frequently Banshee is run
* Track counts for libraries, podcasts, radio, etc
* Total play count / skip count
* How many tracks are rated
* What file types
* What DAP models the user uses
* Version of Banshee, Mono, GStreamer, Gtk+
* What distro/OS

It could be useful to hook into the Gtk+ layer to find out how exactly
people use the app - what GtkActions they invoke (and ideally how -
main menu, context menu, keybinding).  Obviously there are thousands
of things that could be tracked by such an approach.

I'd want to work on this in a very transparent way, disclosing very
clearly what is being tracked, so that people can make an informed
decision about opting in.  Thoughts?

If one was to run with --debug-sql could we also report frequent long sql queries perhaps. I've noticed a lot of users complaining about Banshee's performance and while digging through logs I've noticed that it is possible to get queries lasting several seconds. It would be nice to see just how frequent this happens to users.

- David