Re: [Banshee-List] iPod Sync Issues

El 03/08/10 03:41, Steven Benedict escribió:
> Tom/Mike,
>
> Whenever I connect it back into iTunes it classifies the data as other
> or doesn't show up. When this is the case I tend to just reinitialize

As it's said in Banshee's UI and manuals, it's not recommended to use
iTunes and Banshee at the same time, it's not supported. If you start
using Banshee to sync, stop using iTunes.

> and try again. I read somewhere that when Banshee 1.8 comes out it
> should have full support for iPods so maybe one of the 1.7 releases work
> better.

Banshee 1.8 will most likely include a new more modern extension to
handle not only iPods but iPhones and others. However it will be in the
early stages and some people would even prefer to use the previous
extension (and any bug found on the new extension should actually be
filed against libgpod, not banshee).

> In the mean time I might have found a way to update my iTunes that I
> have running in my XP VirtualBox using Banshee as my main music player.
> I found a python script online that exported a specified Banshee
> playlist and adapted it so it exported all Banshee playlists to standard
> m3u format. I then wrote a c++ program that created an iTunes Music
> Library.xml file using those exported playlists as well and already
> existing iTunes Music Library.xml file. The previous xml file i got from
> the iTunes folder by importing the songs that exist on my Host Machine
> into the iTunes in the VM (making sure the iTunes Music Folder
> destination points to the VirtualBox). To interface between the python
> script and the c++ program I used a bash script. With that done I can
> import the iTunes Music Library.xml file to iTunes and I can update my
> iPod. It's a bit of a run around, but it almost works, ironing out the
> issues right now (iTunes uses funny characters for the special
> characters so the comparison doesn't capture all of the tracks).

As it seems you're a knowledgeable developer, it would be more useful to
land your efforts in upstream projects rather than little scripts or
workarounds that very few people will use or that would break easily. If
you know C++ and Python, I bet you can learn C# (or even C) very fast
and try helping the ipod-sharp library (or the libgpod project if you go
for C), which is most like the one to have the bug you're mentioning
(the NullReferenceException you posted in a previous message is a bug,
for sure).

And it's very usual that just for a small bug in the ipod-sharp library
that may be only affecting 1 or 2 songs of your entire library, the sync
operation gets broken as a whole. Thus, trying to isolate the problem
would also help. Here you can read an e-mail from me to the list some
months ago describing how to do it:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/banshee-list/2010-March/msg00292.html

> And with regards to the bug reporting, I will probably get around to it
> one of these days. It took me almost a month to create this account so
> we shall see how soon I breakdown.

It will be appreciated.

  Andres