Re: [Banshee-List] Installation Problems Banshee 1.6

On 04/04/10 09:14, Deneck wrote:
> Anyway I removed the banshee-packages again and followed your advise
> installing from openSuSe website.
>
> But the outcome is the same:
>
> a_user linux-6s66:~/Desktop> banshee-1
>
> Program 'banshee-1' is present in package 'banshee-1', which is installed on
> your system.
>
> Absolute path to 'banshee-1' is '/usr/bin/banshee-1'. Please check your
> $PATH variable to see whether it contains the mentioned path.
>
> bash: banshee-1: command not found

What do you get if you type "echo $PATH"? It sounds like your entire
system might be slightly screwed up. That message is basically openSUSE
saying "I know you have the app, but it isn't in a path that I've been
told to run apps from", which is a definite problem because /usr/bin
*is* a path that you run apps from as standard.

> a_user linux-666:~/Desktop> su -
> Password:
> linux-666:~ # cd ~/usr/bin/banshee-1
> -bash: cd: /root/usr/bin/banshee-1: No such file or directory

Two reasons why that'll fail: 1) you're trying to change directory to a
file and 2) you're changing directory to "/usr/bin" within the user's
home directory (/root in this case, because you "su -"'d). "ls -l
/usr/bin/banshee-1" should show you that the file exists and its size
(but the earlier output already tells you that)