[Banshee-List] iPod Issues

I have been having trouble getting Banshee to recognize my ipod nano (4th
gen, 8Gb), using Ubuntu 8.04 and Banshee 1.4.3. I am able to import songs
from my ipod to the Music Library in Banshee and listen to them by setting
the ipod as the music library in preferences and clicking "Rescan Music
Library" under Tools, so the program is obviously capable of working with
the ipod. However, the device doesnt actually show up on the lefthand
toolbar (where you can select music/video library, podcasts, radio, ect) so
I am unable to export files from the computer to the ipod. It says that I
have the "iPod Support" extension but is there another one I need to get or
is it something completely different?

Sorry if I'm missing something horribly obvious, I'm still a noob at using
things that aren't Windows.