Re: [Banshee-List] Seems like Banshee ruined my iPod...

TLHN wrote:

> So I switched to Linux.
>
> The only thing I kind of missed was iTunes but I had faith in the good
> people of the open source community so I tried Banshee.
>
> I plugged my iPod Classic 6th Generation 120 Gb in. Banshee told me that
> the device had to be rebuilt in order to work properly with other programs
> than iTunes. OK - I thought, so I went ahead.
>
> It went well, I only lost all my album art and playlists from iTunes,
> everything was still there and working properly.
>
> However, I still had all my music on my computer and I didn't feel like
> messing things up by duplicating every single song by synchronizing the
> ipod with my library on Banshee so I deleted all the music from my iPod
> (the music I once added with iTunes). Then I synchronized the iPod with
> Banshee.
>
> At first it looked as if it went fine, all the music was there according
> to Banshee. But when i unplugged the iPod and took a look in the menues I
> apparently only had 20 songs... which seemed very odd since I was very
> sure that I syncronized as many as 5041 songs!
>
> So I plugged it back in and went back to Banshee, and now I apparently had
> 15 Gb of "other" files, and of course these damn 20 songs.
>
> I tried to get rid of those other files in every possible way, using every
> possible program om Linux but just couldn't access them. So I digged up my
> family tomb to get this old laptop with windows and a very scary
> poltergeist to rebuild my ipod with iTunes and get rid of all the shit I
> now apparently had on it.
>
> But that failed, iTunes said it couldn't restore the iPod because it had
> files on it from other programs.
>
> To summon the whole story; I cannot synchronize properly with Banshee and
> I have no idea how to get rid of all these "other" files. If anybody has
> any idea about how to fix this don't hesitate to tell me!

Okey, so I managed to remove those "other" files with Gtkpod by "checking"
the ipod for "abandoned" files (or whatever it's called on your non-swedish
versions of Gtkpod).

And then I managed to restore and reset the iPod using iTunes on my friend's
Mac. However no I am back at square one again... I'm starting to suspect
that my iPod Classic 6th Generation 120 Gb isn't compatible with Linux at
all, which really sucks because I really love it, it's in pretty good shape
and it cost a lot of money for a poot student as myself.

Am I correct?