Re: [Banshee-List] how does the release process work?

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 08:32 -0800, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
> On 03/05/2009 07:41 AM, Christoph Burgdorf wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Since yesterday banshee 1.4.3 was released, I have a question about
> > the release process. I must admit that I don’t know much about
> > getting a release out. I always thought that you just freeze the
> > trunk when you think it is stable and then make a release from what
> > is in trunk. But since I always have a keen eye on my own patches I
> > recognized that patch #568891 which was commited to trunk some weeks
> > ago, is not part of this release. But other patches which came even
> > later are part of the release.
>
> In the case of Banshee, there is a "stable" branch where 1.4.x releases
> are now made.  The reason for this is that the 1.4.x series will be
> supported for a long time.
>
> The next releases you see from trunk will be versioned 1.5.x, if I
> understand correctly.
>
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/banshee/branches/banshee/stable/
>
> This is a little different from the way most GNOME projects work, where
> a new branch is created for each stable series.  I guess Banshee only
> supports one stable series at a time.

To elaborate a bit on this :
Patches are first committed to trunk, and then some changes are selected
and merged to the stable branch.
This selection is mostly subjective : nature of the bug fixed, risk
involved, etc.
Your patch may also simply have been overlooked. I know I missed it when
looking for things to merge to stable.

Cheers,

--
Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>