Re: [Banshee-List] how does the release process work?

On 03/05/2009 07:41 AM, Christoph Burgdorf wrote:
Hi folks,

Since yesterday banshee 1.4.3 was released, I have a question about
the release process. I must admit that I don’t know much about
getting a release out. I always thought that you just freeze the
trunk when you think it is stable and then make a release from what
is in trunk. But since I always have a keen eye on my own patches I
recognized that patch #568891 which was commited to trunk some weeks
ago, is not part of this release. But other patches which came even
later are part of the release.

In the case of Banshee, there is a "stable" branch where 1.4.x releases are now made. The reason for this is that the 1.4.x series will be supported for a long time.

The next releases you see from trunk will be versioned 1.5.x, if I understand correctly.

http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/banshee/branches/banshee/stable/

This is a little different from the way most GNOME projects work, where a new branch is created for each stable series. I guess Banshee only supports one stable series at a time.

Hope this helps,
Sandy