Re: [Banshee-List] Crossfading and BPM detection

Just a thought:  would it not be best for the purposes of more seamless transitions to sample at the beginning and end of the song in order to match the preceding and following songs, respectively?  I would think that this would be an easier route to reliable matches than trying to define a single value for each song.

Justin

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com> wrote:
2009/2/19 Neil Loknath <neil loknath gmail com>:
> Bertrand,
>
> I built from SVN trunk last night and played around with the new BPM
> feature.  Unfortunately, my results were disappointing.  I think there could
> be 2 reasons for this:
>
> 1. The GStreamer implementation of BPM detection is not an optimal
> algorithm.
> 2. The sample of music passed to the algorithm is not from the most optimal
> time.  For example, the beginnings of some songs can be very different from
> their middles.

Just fyi, I currently have bpmdetect processing the whole file, and it
spits out bpm values at various points - usually many per file - and I
take the mode of those as the one-true-BPM.

Gabriel