Re: [Banshee-List] Plug-in for MusicBrainz tagging

Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 09:15 -0800, Todd Wilson wrote:
>> BTW, as a workaround for my problem CDs, is there any way to rip the
>> CDs
>> using some other program that successfully fetches the metadata, and
>> then add them, with metadata, to my music library (without having to
>> enter the data by hand)?
> Have you tried using Sound Juicer to rip the problem CDs?

Yes, I can get the metadata with Sound Juicer or Rhythmbox, and get the
songs added to my Music directory.  However, the last time I tried this,
and asked Banshee to rescan my music library, my whole library was
reconverted from FLAC to mp3 when I went to sync with my iPod, which
took over 6 hours, if I remember right.  This raises several questions:

1.  Does rescanning update some timestamp that triggers the complete
reconversion?

2.  Can rescanning be set up to touch only the timestamps of music added
since the last rescan?

3.  It looks like ripping with SJ and then importing the resulting
folder adds the metadata and coverart correctly.  What exactly does
import do?  Would it be easier to have SJ rip all the CDs to a separate
directory and import this whole directory, or rip them directly to my
music library?

Thanks,

Todd Wilson