[Banshee-List] Plug-in for MusicBrainz tagging

I am working in a plug-in for tagging via MusicBrainz. I am lucky because Banshee already has methods to do the searches (by track, album, etc.) and, although this code is a bit old, it works well (at least in my tests).

The second step (and for me the main one) is creating a fingerprint of the track, a PUID, and with it searching in MusicBrainz. Very useful when you have a track and have no idea who it belongs to. Again, Banshee has a column for that value in the DB, although usually null.

I have tried with 'libofa' [1] [2] and its Gstreamer plugin, but it returns a very long string that has to be sent to MusicDNS [3] to get the PUID (a shorter string that almost identifes the track). The pros are that the magic of Gstreamer make us not to depend of the audio format. The cons are that we need Internet connection to get the PUID. Anyway, we need that connection to connect MusicBrainz ;) so I think it's a good approach.

What do you think about that? Is anyone already working on that? My English and skills are not very good, so please be patient.

Benja

[1] http://code.google.com/p/musicip-libofa/
[2] http://musicbrainz.org/doc/libofa
[3] http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicDNS