Re: [Banshee-List] [feature suggestion] library structure

Morning,

Am Dienstag, den 10.02.2009, 11:07 +1100 schrieb Christopher James Halse Rogers:
> This is already implemented, but not exposed.
> The /apps/banshee-1/library/folder_pattern and file_pattern keys do what
> you want.

Cool, that did it for the start. Although I didn't know where to find a
list of keywords for this, I tried:

	Folder hierarchy:
		%genre%/%artist% - %album% (%year%)
	File name:
		%artist% - %album% - %track_number% - %title%

And it works the way I mentioned before. I'm still a fan of the idea to
bring that into the ui of Banshee and not hiding it somewhere in the
confs.

> Personally, I don't think exposing as you've suggested in the main
> Banshee UI is a great idea. %foo variables in the UI either require a
> long, unwieldy list, or are completely magical - who knows whether %z is
> a variable, and if so, what its contents are?

For me variables like %artist%, %album% and so on would be ok instead of
one-letter-variables. But they are good for long structures.

Still there are some difficulties with it:

Having songs with some tags empty ends up in not so cool folders and files named

	Artist - Album (0)/... (when year is unknown)
	Artist - Unknown Album (0)/Artist - Unknown Album - 00 - Title.mp3 (when year, album and track_number are unknown)

And good option whould be to ignore unfilled tags and the separator in front of it, which would lead to

	Artist - Album)/...
	Artist)/Artist - Title.mp3

Well, I see that doesn't deal with years in brackets either. But it does with

	%artist% - %album% - %year%

Another problem is with compilations, they end up in having much folders instead of having one with the name

	Various - Album (Year)

or just

	Album (Year)

By the way: The first time I wondered why Banshee had so much albums in the list until I recognized that it lists compilations with every single artist and I found the nice feature to mark the tracks as parts of a compilation. But where is this information stored? It's not a mp3-tag, is it? Maybe if it is, there is a keyword for the library structure like %compilation_artist% which could help out of the trouble I mentioned above?

Again thanks for your interest and I hope I'm not confusing you too much.
Oliver