Re: [Banshee-List] transcode (to lower bitrates) when copying to portable media device

2009/8/3 Brian J. Murrell
For the bonus prize, does Banshee provide any user settable option to
limit the bitrate of mp3s going to a portable device?  Let's say I have
a bunch of 320KB/s mp3s which I want to copy to the portable device, but
let's say I only want them to be 128KB/s on the portable device to
maximize the number of songs I can put on a memory limited device, is
there any way for me to tell Banshee that and have it transcode those
mp3s down from 320KB/s to 128KB/s?

I did notice the Device Properties dialog on the context menu for the
device in Banshee, and it even has an Encode to: pull-down which has
"MP3 (LAME Encoder)" item in it (BTW: is there any way to get other
encoders than LAME for this?) and when I click Edit for that entry it
has a Bitrate: menu with 128 Kbps available in it, but I suppose that is
only used when something actually needs transcoding to mp3 from another
format.

Well, for me that would be very useful, althught my case is very strange (a phone connected to a car radio by USB where the highrate songs are not played well).

Anyway, the file .is_audio_player is some kind of standard, or the options that it supports can be improved?