Re: [Banshee-List] Re vamping the Music Library Columns

> If you're up to it, feel free to file a litany of bugs. We'll keep up. :)

Will do.

>> Customizable headers
>> I want to change the titles of some columns, because they are too long. I
>> know this isn't for everyone, so let people customize them:
> I'm pretty sure most of these have been fixed in SVN/1.3.

Awesome!  I'll have to update soon.

>> I want to reduce the buffer area on the right of the header (I know it's
>> there to leave room for a sorting arrow)
>> I think you're being nitpicky (I mean this lightheartedly :) about the
>> column width. I doubt the developers will want to change it, but it's a
>> general GTK+ design, not one specific to Banshee, so you could check on
>> any GTK+ bugs addressing that.

Yeah, probably a bit nitpicky. I'll have to pay more attention to how that
feels in other GTK+ apps before I file something like that.

>> Location to only display full path if not in "Music Library"
>> If I have file:///home/neil/Music/ set as my music library, only show me
>> the file path in terms of subfolders.
>> That sounds reasonable, though if you're worried about overall crowding I
>> am curious why you want the Location to be listed in your track listing?
>> (To me that column is almost entirely useless.)

I don't keep Location opened all the time, but it's nice sometimes to help
with organizing my library and tell the difference between 2 versions of the
same (or similar) song.  Also, my concern isn't so much about general
crowding, it's about getting the most info per pixel in a presentable way :)

> "Last Played/Skipped Date" with logical shortening of dates
>> Seems reasonable, can you file a bug?

Will do.

> New column headers
>> Consolidated info - I don't need a separate column for plays and skips; a
>> play/skip ratio would work fine.  I think that is much more
>> representative of my listening habits anyways.
>> Same here.

Will file that one as well.

>> I second this idea and please make better use of tooltips over visually
>> incomplete items like many other media players do.
> Tooltips block other visible data in the list and there are plenty of
> times when you'll get an unwanted tooltip when mousing over the library.
> (Aaron's thought, if I recall.)

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Windows Media Player does this in a nice
manner (see attached picture), only displaying a tooltip for the column
under the mouse, and only doing so when the data is not fully displayed.
Obviously there has to be a reasonable delay before the tooltip pops up, but
I think that this would be a great feature.  But maybe this is a convo
better had on bugzilla...

http://www.nabble.com/file/p19616275/wmp.jpg

Thanks for being so receptive! I'm assuming this means that you're going to
assign these bugs to yourself? ;)