Re: [Banshee-List] how do you get to advanced configuration/preferences?

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 1:37 PM, happyhessian <mmdanziger gmail com> wrote:
re: preferences. i would still tend to side with more customization options.
i'm sensitive to the issue of cluttered context menus and main screens but a
discreet configuration file/gconf type system wouldn't be intrusive in the
slightest.  it would allow the beginner user to work with a great program
out of the box but would still give the more advanced users the opportunity
for implementing tweaks or bug workarounds or whatever they want.

That's exactly how it's designed. This gets a bit afield of Banshee specifically, but basically any options you set in Banshee are really stored in GConf... and then some. (Some options are not exposed in the UI but are available in GConf.)

But you still sound like you're proposing something. But Banshee already uses GConf, so you'll find a lot of options available in gconf-editor under /apps/Banshee.

i don't know... maybe i just don't get what gnome is all about...

While KDE seems to favor customization and configuration everywhere, GNOME tends to walk a fine line between simplicity and power. KDE always overwhelmed and confused me ("Where the hell was that setting?!") and I think GNOME does a good job, but then again I'm biased. :)

(Sorry everybody for straying OT; no Banshee user left behind or something?)

--
Andrew Conkling
http://andrewski.net