Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee 1.3.1 - problem picking up gstreamer gnome profiles?

Gabriel Burt wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 10:25 AM, darrellk <darrell darrell org uk> wrote:
>> Hi, my system is set up with an aac (m4a) gstreamer pipeline in gnome
>> audio
>> profiles, all needed gstreamer plugins are installed. I can rip a cd into
>> m4a using Rhythmbox, then import this into my Banshee library, then sync
>> these with my ipod. I believe this proves that the cdda-->.m4a gstreamer
>> pipeline works, but it is not available in the settings in Banshee. As as
>> test, I set up a new gstreamer pipeline in Gnome (just a copy of the flac
>> one with a new name) but this does not appear as an option in banshee
>> either. What is happening? Is Banshee not using the gnome audio profiles,
>> or
>> filtering the choices in some way?
>
> Hi Darrell,
>
> We don't use GNOME's audio profiles, mostly because they aren't user
> friendly.  See Aaron's post here -
> http://abock.org/2007/01/06/audio-profile-configuration-for-the-masses/
> - for more info.
>
> We had an aac profile in Banshee, but it looks like Aaron disabled it:
>
> 2007-08-04  Aaron Bockover  <abock gnome org>
> * data/audio-profiles/Makefile.am: Do not install the aac/faac profile
>     as the plugins it requires are very broken in GStreamer; this profile
>     only confuses users
>
> Does the aac pipeline you use in RB use the faac element?  Looking at
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/ext/faac/gstfaac.h?view=log
> etc it seems there have been some fixes in the last year - maybe it's
> time to reenable this profile?
>
> Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

my gstreamer pipeline is "audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! faac
profile=2 ! ffmux_mp4"
I had to add "profile=2" to the faac element, as the gstreamer faac plugin
would otherwise default to HE-AAC encoding (High Efficiency, aka "MAIN").
"profile=2" sets the plugin to LC-AAC (Low Complexity) which is the version
of AAC supported by the ipod (the HC encoded files do not play at all on my
2nd Gen Nano).

The audio results (played in the car, not a critical environment yet) are
acceptable, no gross lossy codec nasties at the default bitrate of 128K.
Sounds comparable to 192K mp3, with the obvious space saving.

IMO it is a very good idea to reinstate the AAC profile in Banshee, perhaps
with options for "Normal/Ipod Compatible" (profile=1 or profile=2), and a
bitrate slider. Of course the AAC option should be included in those
available in the device properties for the ipod ("encode to" dropdown) -
that's where it is of most use - so users can rip CD's to flac, then encode
to AAC when syncing with the ipod.

The latest ipod sync functionality in Banshee is excellent, and with AAC
support it would become a great all-in-one ripper/player/ipod manager.

Darrell