Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee 1.3.1 - problem picking up gstreamer gnome profiles?

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 10:25 AM, darrellk <darrell darrell org uk> wrote:
> Hi, my system is set up with an aac (m4a) gstreamer pipeline in gnome audio
> profiles, all needed gstreamer plugins are installed. I can rip a cd into
> m4a using Rhythmbox, then import this into my Banshee library, then sync
> these with my ipod. I believe this proves that the cdda-->.m4a gstreamer
> pipeline works, but it is not available in the settings in Banshee. As as
> test, I set up a new gstreamer pipeline in Gnome (just a copy of the flac
> one with a new name) but this does not appear as an option in banshee
> either. What is happening? Is Banshee not using the gnome audio profiles, or
> filtering the choices in some way?

Hi Darrell,

We don't use GNOME's audio profiles, mostly because they aren't user
friendly.  See Aaron's post here -
http://abock.org/2007/01/06/audio-profile-configuration-for-the-masses/
- for more info.

We had an aac profile in Banshee, but it looks like Aaron disabled it:

2007-08-04  Aaron Bockover  <abock gnome org>
* data/audio-profiles/Makefile.am: Do not install the aac/faac profile
    as the plugins it requires are very broken in GStreamer; this profile
    only confuses users

Does the aac pipeline you use in RB use the faac element?  Looking at
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/ext/faac/gstfaac.h?view=log
etc it seems there have been some fixes in the last year - maybe it's
time to reenable this profile?

Gabriel